28 06 24: After graduation - first job memory


 15 06 88 was the day I began my career. Sharing that experience which always remains fresh in the mind.


I was in Ajmer in May'88, visiting relatives, after Final Year Engineering exams. Got a call from Dad, that I had an interview call from BSL, for 4th June. In those days, interviews were few- and the first 2-3 I'd been to, had been just to get the feel of it.

I reached there, having read up quite a bit on the final year subjects, and 'likely questions'  Loved the location at first sight-it was in Alkapuri, one of the posh areas of Baroda and a dream for those of us who were 'poor city dwellers'. There was a group discussion, followed by a MCQ(Multiple choice Question) quiz with the usual agility questions they have(Non-technical), like spotting the odd man out, etc. When this was over, we had a short wait, and then they announced that out of 64(original: 128) of us, 16 were shortlisted. And, the rest could go.

We had an interview with my future boss- a friendly tete-a-tete. They asked me how I fared at the MCQ- I said 'quite good'....and, they showed me the result- 14/50. I was shocked. Don't worry, they said-you're the highest. The others got 3-4-5. Turns out the 10 minute rapid fire MCQ was more to see whether a person gets stuck on a problem and spends time on it, or whether he leaves it, moves to a solvable one.

We were then shortlisted to 8. The next higher level boss(Baroda Area Manager) took an interview- again, a friendly tete-a-tete, making me feel relaxed and answering honestly, on both technical and general topics. And, by evening, we were shortlisted to 4.

Excitement in the air. Couldn't wait for 8th June. Reached there bright and early. Waited half an hour, and then, whammo..they called the other three one-by-one. And, I felt sure that I was at the bottom of the ladder. Anyway, I was called finally.

This was the Gujarat Branch Manager conducting the interview. We exchanged a few words, and he suddenly asked 'when can you join?'. I was so astonished, I said ' B-but, isn't there any formality or offer ', or something silly to that effect. And, he says 'I'm telling you, you're selected. When can you join?;'. I said '15th June'. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I spent 13 1/2 years in this Co, which still holds a soft corner in my heart. On my first day, the Baroda Manager told me' there were 128 who applied. We shortlisted to 64. And, we wanted 1.'. And, he said 'we promised you 1800/- starting salary? Just see your appointment letter. And, voila- it was a starting salary of a princely 2300/-, considered pretty high in those days.

Today, whenever I have doubts about my abilities during a challenging time, I think back to 1988, and it makes me feel all charged up and ready to face the challenge.

I doubt that those who gave me this break would be reading this post, but if they are, thank you a million times over - MDT, DPS, HNG. I wish everyone could get such positive starts to his or her career.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perception

Inventions and Discoveries

Tag:What's in your bag?