Have you ever been nostalgic? I bet you have-about anything-from childhood to school days to college days to first loves to....:) You see that someone or something and memories come flooding back.
Ah, but I bet you've never been nostalgic the way people are these days, out here- they're nostalgic about traffic. Good Lord, was my first reaction. First they used to groan about how the traffic here never allows them to be on time for anything- a meeting, a date, a dental appointment. People who had office at 8 AM, would reach at 9 AM-purportedly because of traffic.
Now, with the current recession-like situation, the roads are relatively less crowded. So, they groan about that..I've been victim to dialogues like(From people whose jobs are secure so far):
- I used to reach from Bur Dubai to Rashidiya in nothing less than an hour- now, I'm there in 20 minutes.**sad look on face**
- You see this street? Four months back, there used to be a queue of vehicles here- from heeeeere to theeeeere*hands gesticulating wildly*.***sad look on face***.
- I used to wait for 1.5 hours for a taxi. Now, we are back to the days when just raising the arm to scratch my hair, brings a taxi or two or three screeching to a stop in minutes.**sad look on face**.
- I don't get my fill of music on Radio FM these days, since the time spent on the road is so less.**sad look on face**.
The only thing I can do on hearing such remarks is roll my eyes upwards and smile. People, what is there in life that makes you crib about everything? Why can you not feel happy that your job, at least, is secure,so you shouldn't look sad?
- I,for one, am pretty happy that I reach office and home in 20 minutes maximum, as against the earlier 45 minutes.(Our Company bus, of course- I wouldn't drive here, ever-love my short life too much).
-I'm also happy that I can listen to Radio FM when home, instead of 'on the road', since the cacophony of sounds of others in the bus doesn't let me enjoy songs.
- I'm pretty happy that we can catch a taxi so easily, the rare times I want to travel by it(Beyond walkable distance). More than that,
- I'm thrilled with the new RTA(Roads and Transport Authority) routes for buses, and the increased frequency- these buses are nothing short of luxurious(Will put up a pic or two one of these days) and link major parts of Dubai with each other.
Now, if I want to be sad, it would be for some friends who lost their jobs, for people in general who have suddenly been told that their services are not required, who have loans and do not have any way to repay them and hence have to resort to flight, who are sending their families home so that they can save a bit more till their jobs are intact. I hope everyone sees a silver lining in the clouds, sooner rather than later.
On another note, today's fortune says:
When it comes to increasingly pressing demands, timing is as important as what you actually say. These may seem urgent. Still, you're better off waiting until after Mars, the planet of ego and energy, moves into Pisces this Sunday and strengthens the courage of your convictions.
Amen to that!!Exactly what I was thinking- the right timing!! So, will wait for Sunday onwards.*grins*.
Have a great day, everyone!!
Oh,yes,interesting joke that gave me the first smile of the day: