How come you are reading this?




Will someone please tell me- how can ‘how come’ be correct English usage? Nowadays, I see it being used as frequently as ‘Hello- how are yuh?’ out here. I also spot it in newspaper articles, letters to the editors,et al.

Initially, when I heard some friends using it, I thought they were paying tribute to the Red Indians of yore, who would say ‘How?’ instead of Hello, and, probably used ‘How? Come!’ as a way to say hello and invite people into their teepees without expounding much of their energy by saying ‘ Hello and welcome. Please enter our humble abode’.

Various examples of ‘How come’ that I keep hearing:
How come he said that?’
How come you did not arrive on time?’
‘ How come he does not enjoy life here?’
How come (s)he did not come when I did?’….LOL.. err, no, I made that up…credit that to the light-hearted mood I’m in, today.

Speaking of English, I saw some more examples of fractured English recently, and some of them are just so ROFLworthy that I must share them with you. All are supposedly spoken by teachers/principals:

Principal to student..." I saw you yesterday rotating near girls hostel pulling a cigerette...? "
--
Class teacher to student:" pick up the paper and fall in the dustbin!!!"
--
Hindi teacher "I'm going out of the world to America.."
--
Another teacher:"..DON'T TRY TO TALK IN FRONT OF MY BACK.."
--
Dont. laugh at the back benches...otherwise teeth and all will be fallen down.....
(My remark: I can believe that this one was really spoken)
--
Teacher: (When the classroom fan did not start in summer)
" why is fan not onning"
--
Teacher in a furious mood..."write down ur name and father of ur name!!"
--
Chemistry HOD comes and says"My aim is to study my son and marry my daughter"
--
"Tomorrow call your parents especially mother and father."
--
"Why are you looking at the monkeys outside when i am in the class?!"
--
- Computer Lab assistant (when the student wrote the wrong code)
"I understand. You understand. Computer how how understand??
--
Seing the principal passing by, the teacher told the noisy class.."Keep quiet, the principal has passed away"
--
Quiz for today:What does this refer to::
Two individuals proceeded towards the apex of a natural geologic protuberance,
the purpose of their expedition being the procurement of a sample of fluid hydride of oxygen in a large vessel, the exact size of which was unspecified.
One member of the team precipitously descended, sustaining severe damage to the upper cranial portion of his anatomicalstructure;
Subsequently the second member of the team performed a self-rotational translation oriented in the same direction taken by the first team member.
----
Thought::Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
----
Till next time,keep smiling!!



Comments

The Ego said…
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after!!!

(and I'm humming this as I type :P:P:P)
AmitL said…
ROFL...Jill,err,d..that's a good one!!:)
SMM said…
Hey I guessed jack and Jill too :)

I so agree with the fractured use of English thee days. Btw have you also notices how many people say "aks" instead of "ask"
austere said…
:)
We should aks for a royalty everytime Indian English is used.
Unknown said…
hahahha.. U should actually join some the debates that's goin on about ennglish and grammer at 7DAYS newspapers website...

hilarious Amitji...!
AmitL said…
Hi,SMM...wow-bloggers are pretty quick in such quizzes.:)
And,yep...aks is very common with many people..I wonder why?
AmitL said…
Hi,Austy...great idea..we should have begun yesterday,when the vote was on in the Los Kabha.:)
AmitL said…
Hi,Curious-hoho..let me check the 7 days website.I pick up their paper edition daily from the outside of some shop or the other,during my morning walk.:)
Anonymous said…
me guessed it too.. Hi there just stumbled upon ur blog.. entertainibg
Solitaire said…
I cannot believe that all these teachers and principals spoke like this!! Gosh! I wonder what kind of students graduate from there.
Solitaire said…
BTW, you are the winner of Jeopardy I as per public vote.

An award will be given to you the moment, Mr. Vrij decides he is available to design it.

Congrats!!
Keshi said…
hahahahaha @cartoon!


**How come (s)he did not come when I did?’….

LOL Amit ur a bad bad boi!

That last qn..I've seen that before and know the ans. So I wont cheat and appear to be guessing. lol!


Keshi.
Keshi said…
I hv some comments in ur last post. Read. :)

Keshi.
Arunima said…
How come a post on the usage of English? :-)
ROFL.. super humorous :P.. here's one:
Announcement to a group of students and teachers going on a school picnic - Snakes will be provided.

:D
AmitL said…
Hi,Anon..tks for your visit..Do be back,and leave your blog url next time.:)
===
Hi,Sol..you're soo right..even I couldn't believe that teachers would speak like that..but,after I heard some of the teachers out here,and,some in Baroda,I can believe.
And,the jeopardy quiz...already mentioned in one of my posts above
:)Tks.
===
LOL..Keshi..:) me,bad,bad boy?*most innocent look..* why,why??Read ur comment on the last post,too.
===
Hi,Arunima..LOL..How come such a comment on the post?
===
Hi,Shreya..ROFL..that's a Gujju joke,for sure.:)

Popular posts from this blog

Perception

News roundabout

Inventions and Discoveries